Disabled Students Allowance

What is DSA?

The Disabled Student’s Allowance is a government grant for UK students with disabilities or learning difficulties enrolled on Higher Education, Post Graduate and Open University courses.

The grant is intended to cover any extra costs or expenses learners may have whilst studying as a direct result of their disability or learning difficulties.


The ‘Bridging the Gap’ Student Finance document provides the full details on how to apply. Download a copy of the document below or order by telephone on 0800 731 9133.


There is more information about the NHS Bursary Scheme, and the Disable Student’s Allowances offered, in the Department of Health’s guide ‘Financial Help for Health Care Students’. You can get copies by contacting the Department of Health Publications Orderline on 08701 555455.

How to Access the DSA funding?

You should contact your funding body (Student Finance England/NHS), to apply for the Disabled Student’s Allowance. At this initial stage you will have to present evidence to determine your eligibility.


This may include an Educational Psychologist’s Report (only for post 16 years of age) or recent medical evidence outlining the impact of your disability or difficulty with day to day activities, and in relation to your course of study.


The Disabled Student Allowance does not cover the cost of obtaining disability evidence or diagnosis. To meet these costs you can apply to your university or college and our dedicated disability advisor may be able to help you with your application. You may also be eligible to receive help through the Access to Learning Fund.


You can apply for DSA funding by completing the form PN1 (form PR1 if you are a continuing student).

What's Next?

Once your Student Finance England has confirmed your eligibility for Disabled Students Allowance funding, the next stage is that you will be asked to have an Assessment of Study Needs at an Assessment Centre – you can do this with us!